The Center maintains a lending library containing thousands of books, audio CDs, video DVDs, magazines, and journals for patrons to explore the classical teachings of the mystics from all the world's religious traditions.
Library Hours and Location
The library is currently open by appointment. Appointments are availale for indoors, outdoors, pickup/dropoff, and delivery! You can use the membership directory to contact our librarian Jennifer, you can also use the library materials request form or the main css phone below. Please refer to the CSS events calendar for closure dates, location, and map.
Visit: contact us with some time windows when you'd like to come, and we'll contact you to narrow down to a specific appointment. Below are the our four appointment options:
- Indoor appointment: You are welcome to come inside and browse the library. When we connect we'll go over any precautions CSS has in place, and any concerns you have. When transmission levels for Lane County are High, indoor appointments are limited to 30 min. When transmission levels for Lane County are Medium or High masks are required indoors at the Center. When transmission levels are low masks are not required for a solo library appointment. We support you if you'd like to be masked we'll mask too.
- Browse outside: we have a nice bench outside CSS where you can relax while gather books, magazines, CDs, and DVDs according to your interest that day, and bring them out for you to browse and select from.
- Outdoor Pickup and Dropoff: request items directly from our online catalog or library materials renewal & request form, we'll fill your bag and contact you to schedule a time for you to come by.
- Delivery: Life is complicated. We can come to you when you can't come to us. Delivery is currently available to those in the Eugene/Springfield area.
Steps for requesting items:
- Search for the book or recording you want in the catalog and click on the title to go to the detail page.
- Click on the blue Ask About This button at the bottom right of the item detail page.
- Remember to provide your name and email or phone numer and any comments about your request.
- Note: We have many items in the collection that are not yet in the online catalog. The request process is similar, look for your item and if you don’t find an exact match, pick an item with the same author or topic to what you are looking for, click the title to go to the detail page, click the Ask About This button and after entering your name and email, use the comment box to describe your request and provide a phone number.
See the CSS Library Blog for reviews and new additions to the library.
Renew your library items online!
To request a renewal of your checked out item, click here.
Submit a Review of a Library Item
You are invited to write and submit original reviews of books, videos, and audios that are part of the CSS Library collection. For some advice on getting started with writing a review, see the page writing a review. When you are ready to submit your review, simply fill out the online review submission form.
For a small annual fee ($10/yr.), anyone may apply for library borrowing privileges. To become a library patron, please visit in person and consult with one of our librarians. CSS Membership includes library borrowing privileges.
Supporting the Library
Other than a small annual user fee for non-CSS members, there is no charge for borrowing books, audios, and videos from the Center library.
If the Center library is of value to you, please consider a donation to our library acquisition fund, helping expand the books, audios, and videos available in our lending library:
The Center also welcomes donations of used books of any kind, or new books you may select from the Center Library's Top Wished For Items at Amazon.com.
Or, simply by following this link to Amazon.com, a portion of the sale of any item you purchase for yourself will help the Center add books to our lending library.
Contacting the Library
Library patrons may contact the library staff throught the renewal link above, or by writing to
Center for Sacred Sciences
1430 Willamette St. #164
Eugene, OR 97401-4049
or by leaving a message at (541) 345-0102.